It took almost forty years from the time the Dr. Laird drafted the "Greater Muhlenberg" plan in 1915 for the College to finally have an athletic building. By the time Muhlenberg finally built a field house in 1953 (Memorial Hall), needs and design aesthetics had changed. The need for a field house was persistent: letters in our World War II Correspondence Collection constantly reference 'Berg servicemen sending a few dollars here or there for the construction of sports facilities for their beloved Mules.