1986 - present: Alpha Chi Omega (ΑΧΩ)
In April of 1913, Henry A. Miller (1969-1958), member of the Muhlenberg Class of 1895 and publisher of the Morning Call, moved into his brand new home with his family. Designed by E. M. Pickin and built by contracting firm Kummery & Butterweck, the residence was called "Millerheim," or "Miller's home," from the beginning.
The home remained in the Miller family until David's widow, Blanche, passed away in early 1959, at which time it was purchased by the College. The name "Millerheim" was retained, and the building was renovated to house Muhlenberg's Music Department, which remained in residence until 1976.
In the 1977-78 academic year, Millerheim became one of the "special interest" houses on campus, one which switched between male and female students each year. In 1983, seventeen women were living there at the time of the twenty-fifth anniversary of coeducation at Muhlenberg, and the year was dedicated to the promotion of and education around women's issues. In 1985, it was home to a group of students dedicated to community service who focused on the "Gabion Project," which worked to prevent erosion in local waterways.
In 1986, after the somewhat controversial decision on the part of the adminstration to convert the special interest housing to sorority housing, the sisters of Alpha Chi Omega moved in.
Visit Origins of Sororities at Muhlenberg to learn more.